Alumni & History
Click to learn more about our Capital Campaign for a new Dining Hall
Are you a part of Glisson's History? Might you perhaps be a former Glisson camper, counselor or staff member? Would you be interested in knowing where your friends, counselors and former staff are now? Would you enjoy coming back to Glisson to see how things have changed since you were here last?
More than eight years ago, In the August 2007 edition of the Glisson newsletter, we asked people to give us feedback on the feasibility of providing a Glisson Alumni ministry. The purpose of the ministry would be to give former Glisson campers, counselors and staff an opportunity to re-connect with their former Glisson friends and re-live their favorite Glisson memories. To those who were interested, a link to an on-line survey was provided for an immediate opportunity to offer feedback.
To view the brief survey, and even provide your own feedback on the Glisson Alumni ministry, follow this link: Glisson Alumni Survey
Recent development: If your family includes multiple generations of Glisson involvement, please complete the Legacy Family Survey so that we can learn more about your family's Glisson connections. Learn more by clicking on the Legacy Families link on the right of this screen.
The survey says ...
The response to the survey was overwhelming, and overwhelmingly positive! By far, the top response to the purpose of an alumni group was "reconnecting with fellow campers and/or staff". Support and advocacy for Glisson were also top responses.
With your feedback in mind, we offered Glisson Day 2008 as a starting point for this new ministry. We held some alumni focus group meetings in 2009 to obtain more feedback. Glisson Day 2010 was a great opportunity to celebrate Glisson's 85th anniversary, as well as the 60th anniversary of our beloved Chapel. In 2013 we hosted the groundbreaking for our new Dining Hall and then a number of our alumni re-connected with each other at the consecration ceremony in March of 2015.
After summer 2015 was completed, we hosted three different alumni reunions in our beautiful new Dining Hall. The first was summer staff alumni from the 1990s and 2000s who came together in August to remember several former staff members who served with them - Cullen Branch, Kelly Gutting, Jessica Crowe Newsome, Michael Roberds, Shelley Harmon and Jenny Shackelford. In October, a group from the 1970s and 1980s enjoyed a reunion, hosted by Mary Lanford, including people involved with Glisson during Rev. Robert "Uncle Bob" Lanford's era as Director/Manager. Later in October a group from the 1950s and 1960s gathered for their second reunion in two years. Our hope is to gather even more feedback from our alumni about even more events in 2016 and beyond.
The Alumni ministry will be managed in conjunction with our Development office for logistical purposes. Through the survey, some people expressed concern that this Alumni ministry not become simply a vehicle for fundraising. We can assure you that although alumni will always have opportunities to give to Glisson, we see this alumni group as a unique Glisson ministry and not as an avenue for raising funds. That is a promise!
How you can help us
Here are some ways you can help to ensure that we're successful in launching this new ministry together:
- Join the Glisson Alumni Facebook group. If you have an account on Facebook.com, look for the "Glisson Alumni" group and join us. This is the official Glisson Facebook group, and is intended for all former campers and staff who are age 18 and older.
- Get your email address into our database so that you can receive our e-newsletters and other email communication - you can use the sign-up block at the bottom of this page.
- "Like" Us on Facebook. While the Glisson Alumni group page is only for summer camp alumni who are over the age of 18, anyone can "like" the Glisson fan page and receive updates from camp throughout the year.
- Help us get everyone connected. Send any current contact information you have on former campers, staff members or counselors to firstname.lastname@example.org. Email addresses are especially important, but all contact information is helpful.
- Be an advocate for Glisson. Email Russell Davis if you are interested in promoting Glisson within your local church congregation. Russell can tell you if there is a "Glisson Ambassador" in your church and can give you information and tools for advocacy.
- Continue to share your ideas. We're in the early stages of developing this ministry and are bound to make some mistakes. We'll continue to rely on your feedback to avoid as many pitfalls as possible and to create an alumni ministry that gives you opportunities to re-connect with the people and the place that have made such a difference in your lives.
- If you have been on staff in the past three years, consider serving as an Alumni Gap for summer camp.
- If interested, find ways to Get Involved.
If you have questions or would like more information, please call us at (706) 864-6181 or email email@example.com